Tuesday, August 28, 2012

For the love of Shellac*

Just looking at my nails and would like to restate my love for Shellac polish, I've been wearing it for almost a YEAR straight, with no more that a couple days inbetween applications. I love love it. I can't got back to regular polish, I just can't in my profession keep it on for more than a day, and it just never looks as nice.


*this polish has been on for 2 weeks & 1 day!* You can see how outgrown it is.
I've clipped the ends a little because I want them short, but all were perfect besides a tiny chip on one of the nails*



I'm hard on my nails. I DO hair & other peoples nails for a living so my hands are always in chemicals, gloves, water, shampoo, I'm using acetone remover on others all the time & my nails stand up!

And I get to say these are MY nails, not some peice of plastic & gunck to build up a fake nail.

If I want long nails, then I just leave the polish on for a couple weeks, soak it off {never rip it off, that will damage your nail} and they grow so much faster now! When they're long I get asked if they're fake all the time.

I've tried fake nails {tips, acrylic, gel} and although they look nice, they've done such damage to my nails.

It's not good for your nails to be filed down, it's not good for your cuticles to be "pushed back". It's ok to scrap off overgrown cuticle off your nail plate, but you shouldn't have your nail eponychium {what some people think need to be pushed back} pushed back.


{not my photo, got it off google images}


I feel bad for people who've heard great things about Shellac then go to get it.... and have a bad first experience with it & give up.

I've found that sometimes the first application on a brand new customer might not last as long as someone who's done it a few times -- I'm assuming this is because the more dehydrated the nail is at the time of application, the better the result will be.  Then using cuticle oil after the polish is complete will rehydrate the nail & it won't be dry. 

I don't know how to explain it, but I think the nail has to get "used to shellac".. although, some people have great luck with it the first time too... so who knows.

*Also you have to get a tech that knows what they're doing, applying it all messy all over the sidewalls and really thing will make it peel & chip in no time.  It has to be applied in THIN THIN layers.. two is usually enough, but the first layer may look to you so thin it's almost see through.

Also sometimes people think they're getting Shellac, when in reality their not, they're getting a different brand. Shellac is a brand from CND {Creative Nail Design}. It's not the process of any old gel polish. Shellac is Shellac... if it's called "gel polish" it's probably not Shellac. 

Shellac looks like this:


{& yes I'm biased because I've only used CND's Shellac. I learned the process in beauty school and have been using it on my own nails, and offer it {&only it} to my clients.}

Shellac and other gel polishes can be similar looking, but in my experience, {taking it off clients}... it's much harsher, you have to soak the nail MUCH longer and scrap or even end up filing it off the nail.

With Shellac you "soak" it for 2-5 minutes max and it will just wipe right off.

Here are some of the Shellacs I've done on myself...










1 comment:

Zadidoll said...

The photo of the cuticle and the eponychium happens to be mine. :) I'm so glad people are finding it useful since I have been trying for years to get the word out that the real cuticle is a rigid growth under the skin surrounding the skin.

-- Zadidoll