Tuesday, October 9, 2012

School Fundraisers can kiss my ass

Funny Seasonal Ecard: 2 weeks. Everyone tries to sell the same high-priced crap, and if you don't sell enough you have to stay at school while everyone else gets a limo ride. And GO!


Just feel the need to vent about SCHOOL FUNDRAISERS today.
Or specifically this ONE that our school uses every fall... that is in my opinion the worst idea ever.

It's always the same CRAP, hideous wrapping paper, way OVER PRICED pizzas, and cookie dough, crappy kitchen utensils and magazines.... all stuff that is not worth the price you pay. 

I feel bad even asking my family to buy this stuff to support my kids school.

I know there are probably 1,000 better fundraising opportunites out there but our school seems to think this is the best way. 

Give the kids 2 weeks, max, to sell as many of these crappy items as they can.  Have a school wide assembly to get the kids all jacked up on this amazing idea of selling these "awesome" products to help out their school and earn "amazing' prizes {like rubber duckies, and pencil toppers} and best of all ALL you have to do is sell 20 items and you'll get a LIMO RIDE to local pizza place for lunch!! {no mention that the meal isn't even included, parents will be responsible for that cost as well} 

And if you can't sell 20 items, you'll just get to stay at the school and watch your friends {that have better parents, that actually cared about them} take the ride of their life.

If this sounds a bit bitter it is.
I've never tried to sell this stuff before because it just seemed so impossible. I have two kids selling this stuff, so they'd need to sell 40 items ( you can't just sell for one, and not the other, right?) with the cheapest items in these catalogs being $8.  Also being 100's of miles away from any family, and every kid in town selling the same stuff... how the hell?

It's just so stressful, as a parent, to have to try to do this every year, and to inevitably disappoint my kids because there is NO ONE to sell to, and this stuff is just not quality or reasonaly priced.

So with all our best efforts, some supportive family members trying help out and a couple people in town taking pity on us... we still only came halfway to our goal.  Which leaves me to buy 20 items to help them make this goal. And even with buying 20 of the CHEAPEST items I can find online {$5}, I'm spending $100 just so the kids can get that ride and the school can make a percentage. Instead of buying one or two things I'd rather have, Im buying 20 shitty items because we have to sell ITEMS instead of a dollar amount.

I'd much rather donate directly to the school, they'd get 100% profit... but I was told I could do that, but the kids still wouldn't get any rewards and not be allowed on the limo ride.

Im never doing this again. EVER. 

3 comments:

Layne Adams said...

Hi there! great stuff here, I'm glad that I drop by your page and found this very interesting. Thanks for sharing about online school fundraising, hoping to read something like this in the future!

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on
your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one today.

Also visit my blog jocuri poker online gratuit

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well
written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

My page :: jocuri online cu impuscaturi